Robert O. Hickey
Robert O. Hickey is a partner in the firm. He is primarily engaged in the defense of civil suits on behalf of individuals, insureds and self-insured entities. Bob’s practice includes the defense of suits brought against railroads pursuant to the Federal Employer Liability Act, catastrophic railroad and motor vehicle accident cases, wrongful death, cases against universities and premises liability cases.
He has tried many jury cases to verdict in state and federal courts in Connecticut.
Bob has also successfully defended appeals in the Connecticut Appellate Court.
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Railroad Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- Connecticut and American Bar Associations and on the Board of Directors for the Fairfield County Bar Association
- Selected to appear in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011
- Represented a commercial establishment in a subrogation claim for indemnity in the amount of $875,000.00 as the result of a personal injury claim arising out of an accident on the establishment’s property. Summary judgment was obtained for the client.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a railroad in an FELA case brought by a train engineer and tried in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.
- Obtained multiple directed verdicts for a local university on claims of slander and slander per se after a five day trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for a Maine law firm sued in Connecticut as the result of actions taken in a Maine probate trial. Claims included slander and intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress.
- Representation of various railroads in connection with wrongful death and serious injury claims arising out of railroad accidents.
- Obtained a defense verdict which was subsequently affirmed on appeal on claims for contractual and common law indemnity against a client arising out of a motor vehicle accident.
- Representation of numerous commercial entities on claims of premises liability, subrogation claims and claims for indemnity.
U.B. Vehicle Leasing, Inc. v. Scott Davis et al., 90 Conn.App., 206 (2005)
Chen v. Gesner, 2006 Westlaw 893856 (2006)