For decades, RRD has defended and protected the reputations of lawyers and law firms in malpractice cases and federal or state disciplinary and grievance proceedings. We are on the preferred counsel list of all of the major writers of lawyers’ professional liability insurance in the state, and three of our partners devote a significant portion of their practices to work in this area.
Representative cases handled by the firm include:
- Successful defense of a lawyer against claims of libel and slander brought by a former adversary;
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a criminal defense attorney in connection with a claim of malpractice brought by a former client regarding sentencing issues;
- Representation of an intellectual property firm in the defense of claims of malpractice premised on allegedly not perfecting patent and trademark rights internationally;
- The defense of lawyers in connection with grievances and disciplinary hearings instituted by the state bar and/or former clients;
- Obtained dismissal of malpractice suit brought by attorney accused of improperly depleting escrow account in connection with real estate transaction;
- Obtained dismissal of suit brought against attorney by decedent’s heirs for alleged malpractice in connection with preparation and execution of will; and
- Defense of lawyer sued by former client in connection with allegedly not preventing client’s former spouse from dissipating assets during pendency of divorce proceedings.