RRD represents more than 75 insurance carriers in a broad variety of matters. We have issued hundreds of coverage opinions and regularly advise insurance carriers regarding coverage and claims handling issues for both first party and third party claims.
The firm has represented insurance companies in lawsuits alleging wrongful denial of coverage, construction defect, bad faith, improper claims handling, Unfair Insurance Practices Act and Unfair Trade Practices Act claims as well as extra contractual claims for punitive damages.
We have represented the interests of insurance carriers and managing general agents before the Connecticut Insurance Department in regulatory issues and enforcement actions and investigations. We assist carriers in the drafting of policy language to comply with Connecticut statutes and regulations.
Representative matters handled by the firm include:
- defense of reinsurance intermediary in suit brought by competitor based on restrictive covenants in contracts of brokers;
- defense of insurer in Oxycontin coverage litigation;
- defense of insurer in silica and asbestos coverage litigation resulting in Supreme Court decision;
- defense of insurer in action brought by premium finance company for losses caused by an agent’s theft;
- litigation on behalf of insurers involving environmental, product liability, professional, automobile, construction, homeowners, and automobile policies of insurance;
- defense of captive insurer sued in bad faith by judgment creditor of insured; and
- assisting insurer in obtaining charter to issue policies in Connecticut.
- Liberty Mutual Ins. Co. v. Lone Star Industries, 290 Conn. 767 (2009) (upholding asbests and silica exclusions).
- Hamilton v. United Services Automobile Association, 115 Conn. App. 774 (2009) (upholding dismissal of declaratory judgment action brought by third party on grounds of repress).